My initial reaction to the PSI and A-T models is that while they are relatively older instructional models (vintage 1960s), both have experienced continual interest and implementation, albeit with some modifications. For a theory or model to persist in the field for nearly 50 years suggests that it has validity and usefulness. Another initial reaction I had, particularly after reading Kulik et al. (1979) and Kozma et al. (1978), is how difficult it is to compare and assess the effectiveness of various instructional models (e.g., A-T vs. lecture-based instruction). The Kulik et al. (1979) article points out how numerous studies comparing the same two instructional methods can have vastly different results, emphasizing the need to critically evaluate the literature before jumping to any conclusions about a particular theory or model. This is striking because my experience is mostly in the biological/physical sciences where studies have a limited number of variables and can be very tightly controlled and hence such high variability is not as common. Comparing two models of instruction is apparently very challenging due to the number of variables, etc.
The PSI and A-T models share many common characteristics including an individualized approach, self-paced instruction, clear learning objectives, breakdown of content into smaller units and upfront time and financial investments to develop materials. Both models tend to be effective at conveying material but are not particularly suited for developing higher order analytical or critical thinking skills. Both models seem very adaptable to a web-based system of instruction, particularly since instruction is divided into small units.
A significant barrier for both of these models would be student populations with lack of maturity, motivation and persistence. For example, students who procrastinate may not be successful with an individualized / self-paced model of instruction. Obviously, since the A-T model focuses on the audio modality for delivery of material, this model would not be suitable for hearing impaired students or students who have a strong preference for non-auditory styles of learning.
As for my own teaching, I do like the PSI model. This model seems well suited for health science content such as pharmacology, because there is usually a large volume of material that can be readily divided into small segments. The practice of breaking content into small chunks tends to improve comprehension and gives the perception that the subject is manageable as opposed to completely overwhelming. Often pharmacology content requires solid comprehension of introductory concepts, and so the PSI principle of regular assessment to demonstrate mastery before progressing is particularly desirable.
I would not choose to use the A-T method, mainly because of my own personal bias (probably not a good reason). Generally, I prefer non-auditory styles of learning. Plus, my introductory biology course at Ohio State in the 1970s was taught by the A-T method (it was interesting to learn that the A-T method was initially developed for college biology instruction at neighbor Purdue Univ). Although the course was very well done, my impression was that it was sort of a “discount” brand, providing a cheaper and more efficient way to teach the thousands of students needing Bio 101! However, I do believe that elements of the A-T approach can be successfully incorporated into modern web-based instructional approaches.
The health science field would be a good area to have PSI. I know when I have taken science classes, I have to frequently refer back because I haven't understood. So being able to take my time to really understand it would be nice! That way students who science just clicks with wouldn't have to slow down for us "dumber" ones.
ReplyDeleteI agree about the AT method; in fact, my biology class was taught the exact same way!
Good reflection! :-)
I think you are right in that if a model can stand the test of time, there must be something to it! My gut instinct tells me that making clear the learning objectives (and then following through with them) is a big factor in the success and longevity of both the AT and PSI models. When clearly stated learning objectives can be related to departmental, degree, and even school objectives, there is a legitimization of sorts to the instructional content. Also, students seem to be more aware of what is expected of them, and what constitutes success in the course.
ReplyDeleteI believe PSI would be better suited for my composition classes…progressing through the writing process works better when broken into smaller segments. Yet, by itself, it would not foster the community feeling that is most conducive to learning.
You dissection of the models was clear and helpful…you gave me much to think about and I appreciate that…Terri Scalf
Your comment,"For a theory or model to persist in the field for nearly 50 years suggests that it has validity and usefulness," gave me mixed feelings. On one hand, I could nod to agree and on the other I could shake to disagree. I do think that the models we read about have some merit today, but I would not say that the long standing of any concept makes it valid or useful. Some enduring laws or religious beliefs/practices could be rightly be considered useless, illegitimate, or illogical despite their locations in societal hierarchies.
ReplyDeleteWe do, however, share the same feelings regarding the A-T method. I do not prefer auditory learning in isolation and could see it improved by the advances of technology. As Terri mentioned in her blog, variety is much more appealing to students when it comes to learning materials.
I completely agree with the lack of interest in creating the AT model and I think that many of our students would also struggle. Whenever we do the "How do we learn?" inventory it seems as if there are fewer auditory learners, most middle-schoolers are doers. As I read more of the blogs and think about the models I feel like the AT model would bore a majority of the younger students and cause them to not follow through with the course material. I think that these models may still have success with students who have an added incentive to keep up with the work, student loans, but the general student would not find it engaging enough. I plan on using the PSI model with my group and making it as interactive as possible. I looked at the examples that were posted and using things like Quizlet, Voicethread and Weebly could make the PSI closer to what the students use on a regular basis, which is a big advantage over the AT model.
ReplyDeleteDave Walsh
I think one thing that is forgotten in discussing the A-T model is that it does allow for hands-on activities, although in its original form required turning off the tape recorder and doing something in the listening room, which seems a little awkward. (What would be interesting is to treat it almost like a "voice from above" where the student is in a room with a disembodied voice saying "This is what we are learning. Now take the items in front of you and do what we just talked about." It could be mysterious and effective. Just a crazy thought that suddenly popped into my head.)
ReplyDeletePeggy, you are the first person who has actually been taught using the A-T method (although Claire said she was, too). I would like to hear more about how it worked.
@Dave. I do recall the hands-on element and initially thought it sounded fun, but the part that leads up to it (audio) is what students need to get started. I also wondered about the logistics of it all and who did quality assurance for booths after students finished as well as the final clean-up. Interestingly enough, I envisioned something like you described, which could be curiously exciting for some and "humdrummily" depressing for others.
ReplyDeleteDave --my basic college biology course was taught using the A-T method (which was a number of years ago). There was a bio lab type room with the audio equipment on one side of the room, as I recall. We listened and then did the labs and there was a TA there to assist, if needed. As I look back on it, I remember a very "solitary" experience without much interaction. There was no professor involved directly (although I am sure they formulated the audio materials).
ReplyDeletePeggy, thanks for elaborating on how the A-T approach worked in real life; sometimes you read articles and think you get it but then in real life it plays out somewhat differently. :) In my experience, the statement that auditory learners are not as frequent as doers or even visual learners is true, and I agree that this would be a con for using the A-T approach. I love that you also mentioned hearing-impaired students as a population of students not well served by the A-T approach.
ReplyDelete